The Women’s Ministry of Charter Oak Lighthouse exists to help build women into all that God wants them to be. We do this through encouraging our women to cultivate several characteristics in their lives that are highly prized in the Bible. These characteristics include:
(1) Faith – the Bible tells us that without faith it is impossible to please God (Heb. 11:6) and that is through faith in Jesus Christ that we are saved (John 1:12-13; John 3:16-17; Rom. 1:16-17, Rom. 10:9-13).
(2) Fidelity to God’s Word – the Bible is our instruction book for living and it is through the Word of God that we are molded into the very image of Christ (Psalm 1:1-6; 2 Tim. 3:16-17).
(3) Holiness – the Bible calls on all people to walk in holiness and women of God are called on to model the very righteousness of God in ever aspect of their lives (Lev. 11:45; Lev. 19:2; Lev. 20:7; Lev. 20:26; Matt. 5:20; 1 Thes. 4:3-5; 1 Pet. 1:13-16; Rev. 21:6-8).
(4) Integrity – a woman of God is to have integrity and uprightness in all of her actions (Prov. 15:21; Isa. 33:15-16; Matt. 6:33).
(5) Modesty – we are living in a hyper-sexualized world that very often cheapens womanhood and teaches women to think of themselves as mere objects rather than the valuable creation of God that they are. Often this attitude is expressed through an encouragement towards inappropriate dress and an overemphasis on physical appearance. One of our goals is to help women to recapture a biblical self-image that is able to ground their self-esteem in God and to combat the worldly perspective with a Bible based modesty. (1 Tim. 2:8; 1 Pet. 3:3-6)
(6) Motherhood – it is a sad reality that over the past several decades that the institution of motherhood has come under an increasingly fierce attack from several quarters in our society. Many women who devote a large portion of their lives to raising their children are made to feel like they are inferior to the more career minded and that choosing to put their children first is akin to choosing to be an underachiever. From a biblical point of view this perspective is entirely backwards. The Bible expresses the highest regard and value for motherhood and in the Bible motherhood is pictured as one of the essential building blocks of the family and a civil society. The goal of our Women’s Ministry is honor motherhood appropriately and to encourage women step into this most important of roles that God has ordained for them. (Ex. 20:12; Ex. 21:15; Lev. 19:1-3; Lev. 20:9; Deut. 5:16; Deut. 27:16; Proverbs 31:10-31; John 19:25-27; 2 Tim. 1:3-7)